FringeFM - Exploring the Edges of Human Understanding | Future Tech | Longevity | Singularity | AI | Cryptocurrencies & Blockchain | Space Technology | Venture Capital | Startups
49. Why 21st Century Will Be Defined by Biotech | Ramphis Castro of ScienceVest
Manage episode 220801836 series 2336647
Ramphis Castro (@jramphis) is the co-founder of ScienceVest, a venture capital fund for hard-tech and life science companies, and Impact Science Angels, an angel group focused on investing in companies that can impact 1MM+ lives. Ramphis is a Kauffman Fellow and co-Chair the NYC chapter of the Society and focused on the funding gaps for radical science companies in the US.
In 2016 Ramphis was invited by the White House and was part of the US delegation with President Obama on his historic visit to Cuba.
Ramphis has a diversified personal investment portfolio of companies ranging from Artificial Intelligence, Drones, Wearables, EdTech, Productivity Software, eCommerce, MarketPlaces, FinTech to Consumer Apps. He also designed and is on the investment committee for Parallel 18, a global accelerator based in Puerto Rico with a portfolio of 100+ seed/series A companies from over 40 countries across multiple verticals that have collectively raised over $40M in venture capital funding from investors from Silicon Valley, New York, and beyond.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- How trade and politics affect economies
- Why AI is so important in biotech
- What areas of synthetic biology are most promising for investors
- The reason impact investing will dominate next generation of investing
- How Cuba’s embracing capitalism and the future of startup ecosystems
- The reason science and deep tech is underfunded
- Why biotech will be the driving force of 21st century
- Why CRISPR is such a promising technology to cure incurable diseases
- Why Ramphis will probably live forever
- The sad truth about startup investing
Make a Tax-Deductible Donation to Support FringeFM
The post 49. Why 21st Century Will Be Defined by Biotech | Ramphis Castro of ScienceVest appeared first on Fringe FM.
59 episodes available. A new episode about every 2 days averaging 47 mins duration .